Wednesday 7 September 2011

Dressed With Love


There's something special about hand-knitted baby clothes. They're made with love and are unique, one-off pieces that no other baby will be wearing. There are so many beautiful, soft wools to choose from. My favourite is bamboo. I love the feel of it, silky and light yet so warm.

My mum has knitted many cardigans, jumpers, jumpsuits, booties and beanies. In fact, she always has something in progress for one of my girls, my nephew and his soon to be baby brother or sister. I learned how to knit as a kid, but I never learned how to follow a pattern or do anything like what mum makes, I think it's a skill that's fading away with the older generations.

Since Violet, my 3 year old, was born she has worn many of her Nanna's knitted creations. Olivia, my one year old, has also been wearing the same pieces handed down. Unlike much of the throw away baby clothes these days that only last a few washes before going out of shape, these are clothes you can keep forever.

Here are some of mum's knitted clothes, modelled by Violet and Olivia:

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to make sure that worked... I think it's a dying art! Nothing like home made goodies.
    You could do a blog on home made vs store bought- or "2 years of baby stuff: what you really need" & I can send it to all my baby making friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous, Linda! I especially love Olivia's little white wrap around in the first pic.

    ~ Clare x

    ReplyDelete